Ramsey Mortuary Chapels were built in 1858 and officially opened in 1860.
They comprise of two chapels, one Anglican and the other non-conformist, joined together by an octagonal bell tower with a spire. The bell can be seen on display in the Anglican chapel and was cast in 1859 by J Warner & Son who also made the bells for Big Ben.
A very important feature of both chapels are the contagion windows which would appear, after much research, to be the only ones remaining in the UK. The windows were used to protect mourners from any virus or disease that the deceased might have died from, but at the same time allowing them to pay their respects.
During WWII, the chapels were designated as Ramsey’s Mortuary and sadly, on 22nd August 1942 Ramsey was bombed and seven people were killed outright, their bodies resting in the chapels prior to Burial. One other person dying later in hospital.
A monument in their memory was erected by the “Friends of Ramsey Mortuary Chapels” on 22nd June 2017.
In 1948 the chapels officially became Ramsey’s Mortuary, with Swearer & Sons, undertakers and builders, carrying out the alterations.
In 1974 there were plans by Ramsey Town Council to demolish the building. But due to the foresight and determination of local man, Stan Beebe, who got up a petition, the chapels were saved. They were listed Grade II in 1984, but unfortunately were allowed to deteriorate and placed on the At Risk Register.
The Friends of Ramsey Mortuary Chapels were formed in 2016 with the intention of saving and restoring this wonderful and important Ramsey building.